Sunday, October 7, 2012

Scrapaway!!

Every year I look forward to the invite to go to scrapaway with my friends from Colorado. We usually go to a place in Colorado Springs where the lady runs it out of her house. It is so amazing because she cooks and cleans and we don't have to lift a finger. We hang out in the basement and watch movies, conferences and get in the hot tub. Well, this year, the owner called and said her father-in-law had unexpectedly passed away and she was going to have to cancel for the first time ever. This was on Tuesday and we were supposed to drive down Thursday. Well, my dear friend Carli and some of the other ladies scrambled to find a substitute place for us to go to. Luckily they stumbled across this fabulous cabin by Buena Vista. It is a 3 hour drive from their homes but it is a GORGEOUS drive!!

My flight left really early Wednesday morning and Carli came and picked me up. From there we went to Costco and Target to pick up food for the retreat. That was the only drawback of the new place. We had provide and cook our own food. We picked really easy things to put together and got tons of delicious snacks and junk food too :) Later that night, Carli had a debate party at her house for the first presidential debate. It was like Christmas for Carli. She loves politics and especially loved how well Mitt did. It was fun to watch with someone so passionate about it.

Thursday morning we spent preparing food so we wouldn't have to make it at the cabin. I made coconut waffles and I helped Carli with her cheesy vegetable soup. We left around 2 to caravan to the cabin. On the way up, we stopped in Silverstone to shop at the outlet mall. It was really chilly and I had only packed summer clothes so I bought a couple of long-sleeved shirts. We spent a few hours walking around the shops and then ate at Old Chicago. Our waiter was really out of it and seemed to be on something. We were laughing about it but then became really annoyed when the whole thing took over 2 hours. He kept forgetting things and taking forever to get our stuff (food, dessert, checks). Oh well.
 
We arrived at the cabin in the dark with sleet coming down like crazy. I'm amazed we found it when there was no light or signs. Thank goodness for GPS! We unloaded and warmed up with hot chocolate by the fire. The cabin is 3 stories and was completed in 2010. Everything is really nice and cozy.
The big chair is a great spot to spend in the sun, eating breakfast

Micaela, Carli and Jamie

My spot for the last 3 days

Erica and Kris

The view out the big windows

Micaela, Me and Carli waiting to eat

Kris, Carli and Erica helping with dinner

A group shot on the front deck

These ladies are so fun!

Carli and Me!!

Friday, Saturday and Sunday we spent scrapbooking, watching movies, watching conferences, and eating great food. 3 of us, including me, brought our laptops to work on stuff so we got the comfy couches in front of the tv. The other 3 set up tables behind the couches so they could watch as well. It was a great setup and everyone got a lot accomplished. I wanted to do an online photobook but the website kept freezing and losing my pictures. After several attempts to do the same page, I gave up and caught up on my blog. I'll do the photo book when I get home.

After spending the weekend here, we've all decided that we would rather come back to this place every year. We like having the whole cabin to ourselves and not having to worry about disturbing a family upstairs. Obviously the cooking thing would be better done by someone else but it was easy enough to all share the load and we made simple meals.

We'll drive home after the last session of conferences today. Tomorrow Carli and I will spend the day doing fun things (yet to be planned). She has to teach a voice lesson at 4 and then we'll go out with her family to dinner at Cinnzetti's. It is an amazing all you can eat Italian buffet that is so wonderful it makes my mouth water thinking about it :). We don't have it in Idaho so it is definitely a rare treat! Then they'll take me to the airport. My flight doesn't leave until around 10ish and I won't get home until around midnight. Perfect!

I love getting away for a while but it always makes me appreciate my family. I can't wait to see them. I've missed them! Mark is so great to encourage me to go and helps me so much with getting the kids taken care of. He takes over everything at home and is so great! I'm so lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment