Thursday, March 21, 2013

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day was absolutely crazy!! I signed up and tried to do way to many things that day. I put way to much effort into trying to make it a special day for everyone.

In the morning, I went to help Makayla's class with their hot air balloon launch and pancake breakfast. I brought my griddle and was out in the hall flipping pancakes with another mom when all of a sudden the principal came over the loud speaker and said two words:

Immediate Lockdown.

My blood ran cold and I froze. We were right by the library and the librarian immediately came out and made us go into the library. Makayla happened to be with me waiting to take hot pancakes over to the class so she got to go in with me. There were only a few people in there and I was freaked out for the first 5 minutes. I kept waiting to hear gun shots or for someone to try and bust the door down. After about 10 minutes I checked my phone on the local news sites. It said there was someone with a weapon at Heritage Middle School that is a few miles away from where we were. All the surrounding schools were in lockdown. I was so relieved that it wasn't our school! After about 30 minutes we were finally able to go out in the halls but no one was allowed to go outside until further notice. The 5th graders continued with their breakfast but weren't able to go outside to launch their balloons. After a while, we found out that there was a middle schooler who had brought some sort of WW2 shovel thing that looked like an axe that his teacher asked him to bring. Someone saw him carrying it in and called the authorities. I felt so bad for the kid and I'm sure he was shocked to be the cause of school lockdowns! They had tons of cops and authorities there from all over the valley. I can't blame them after what has happened, but still....

 
They had the hot air balloon launch the next morning

Anyway, after Makayla's breakfast, I ran home to start making a special treat (raspberry eclairs) I had found online that I had never made. It was a lot more complex than what the directions eluded. I had already committed to doing the Bingo table for Derek's Valentine party so I had to leave in the middle of making the treat. Derek's class was so cute and they had fun little stations. I kept thinking about all those kids in Connecticut and how they were all this age. I had to hold back tears as the kids were playing Bingo.

A sweet mom had brought in sugar cookies for each of the kids with their name on one. I took a picture of them and then noticed that Derek's name was not on one! I felt so bad but Derek didn't even notice. He just ate the XO cookie. That's one of the perks of having a totally oblivious kid!


Where's Derek?
 

 
Derek's Valentine's Box

 
The Bingo Station

After the party I shot back home to finish the treat before my fiddle lessons came over. I also planned to make Mark's favorite dinner so I tried to get all that stuff out too. After teaching, I hurried and put dinner together. I set the table up really fun and had a little gift for each kid.

All I have to say is NEVER AGAIN!! The kids were so-so about the dinner and I think everyone could have cared less with the effort I put into it. The dessert turned out not great and Makayla was mad she had to miss basketball practice to stay home for the "special dinner." I was so tired and stressed and my back and feet hurt so bad. I was like, "I am done with this holiday!! Never again!!" I didn't even get any pictures besides Derek's class party to document the horrible day.

From now on the kids can do their fun parties at school and get their fun gifts from my parents and grandparents. Mark can figure something out for us to do and not make me do everything. This holiday is about wooing the woman anyway, right!!

No comments:

Post a Comment